Saturday, January 5, 2013

10 Things to Know After VS Surgery

A lot of people in my day-to-day life ask me questions about what I can/can't do, eat, and vice versa.. And I'm sure a lot of you know little about Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, so I'm going to let you in on a little bit of info I've learned in the last 2 months..  Geez, it seems like it's been longer than that..

# 10. Right now, I can eat around 1/2 cup of food without feeling supremely full (and equally sick)..  This can be a little bit more, depending on the amount of carbs in it.. But for the most part, I can eat 1 piece of a large pizza, 2 chicken nuggets, or (barely) 1 pk of oatmeal..

#9.  I was warned that there would probably be some foods that I couldn't tolerate after the surgery.. So far, those foods are: eggs, salad, and regular yogurt..  I can eat greek yogurt really well, but I guess regular yogurt is too thin..  OH, and anything too dry..

#8.  Because I had my gallbladder taken out, I usually only eat the pizza or chicken nuggets when I'm out (and have no other option) or when I need to go #2.. Yes, constipation is an issue, but I'm working on balancing my protein and fiber.. lol

#7.  My dietary plan was interesting.. I was on a liquid diet for 5 days after coming home, then onto soft foods for 3 weeks.. It seems like I've been eating normal for for more than a month, but it truly has only been 4 weeks..  I also wasn't able to work out, more than walking, for 6 weeks, but I broke that at 4 because I was so BORED!!

#6.  As of right now, I've had no complications.. When I first arrived home, I was always worried about popping a stitch (even though I'm sure you have to drink/eat a bunch to do that).. But my health, while not horrible before surgery, has gotten so much better since.. I no longer have migraines, my legs/hips don't hurt after walking a lot, and my acid reflux that I had towards the end of my "waiting period" is gone again.. :)

#5.  I was told that my weight loss should be mostly done in 6 months.. And if I keep this rate of weight loss up, which I have ever intention to, I will have lost 120 lbs in 6 months.. :)  Which will put me in a good place to stay and hopefully be healthy and happy..

#4.  Eating and drinking is now something that I have to THINK about.. I no longer get hungry..  Which is awesome, but there are multiple people that become anorexic because of this (according to things I've read)..  Also, I am no longer able to drink while I eat.. It could cause me serious pain to do so.. I have to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink anything..  Which is an adjustment that I'm slowly getting used to..

#3.  I am supposed to take several different vitamins, multiple times a day.. I take a Flintstone vitamin twice a day, a calcium chewable three times a day, and a B12 chewable once a day..  and because the Flintstone vitamin has iron in it, I have to take all of these 2 hours apart from each other.. This is something I'm still having issues getting into my day, especially working..

#2.  Cooking for one is hard enough.. Cooking for 1/2 a person (which is what I usually eat) is that much harder.. Wasting food is something that we all, losing weight, struggle with at some time.. I'm getting past that issue, and starting to cook for myself (and freeze stuff for later)..

#1.  Eating too much is not an option.. Unless you want to make yourself throw up.. Which I hate.. ick!   And it's not a "stick your fingers down your throat" kind of sick.. It's a "run to the toilet and bend over" kind of sick.. You truly have no choice.. I've only avoided it (barely) by stretching myself out as far as possible.. And it's usually the worst feeling ever.. ugh!

This surgery was the best decision I've ever made.. BUT it's not an automatic fix.. It's more of a staple, because about 25% of the people that have this surgery regain most of their weight back.. I have someone that had this surgery that only lost 40lbs (the average is around 100lbs) because she doesn't exercise or eat as well as she should..  I don't want that to be me, so I will do everything I can to make this work..

Yes, I still have sweets.. But thanks to my limited stomach capacity, it's like 1 cookie or mini cheesecake.. I won't eat bread for another 10 months, bc I've been told not to.. I'm actually thinking I'm gonna try to avoid bread totally.. Now, this is just bread, not stuff like tortillas..

Well, hope this helps you understand more about what life is like for me, after surgery.. Look forward to new before/after pics next week.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment